Young Amy has a crush on an American boy whose family will be sharing the Christmas Eve meal with her Chinese family. She is embarrassed by the differences between their cultures and traditional foods. Amy's mother teaches her a gentle lesson about the importance of embracing your cultural roots; only recognizable to her years later. Tan's purpose for writing this essay was to show that although it may not be easy to recognize in our youth, our culture and differences are vital parts of ourselves to be cherished.
The second essay I read was "Superman and Me." by Sherman Alexie. (582-85)
A poor child growing up on the Spokane Indian Reservation, where children were neither expected or encouraged to be smart, Sherman's father showed him a life rich in books and the love of reading. Sherman taught himself to read at the age of 3 through the pages of a comic book, altering his view of the world. His intelligence made him different, but he devoured books anyway; sensing a path to a better life. As an adult, and highly acclaimed author, he now returns to the reservation school to try to give the children who live there the same keys to success that he found as a child: a love of books and reading, and a positive role model like his father was to him. The purpose of this essay is to show how reading and books can be a pathway to life that rises above cultural expectations.
I am choosing to do my analysis on "Superman and Me" by Sherman Alexie. I really enjoyed the message of his essay. It reminded me of growing up with a mother who loved books, and reading all of her books that I could. I am looking forward to delving deeper into this essay.
I commented on the following:
Shelbee's blog: http://srwilhite.blogspot.com/
Ariel's blog: http://arielkhodge.blogspot.com/
Works Cited.
Alexie, Sherman. "Superman and Me." The Bedford Reader. Ed. X.J. Kennedy et al. 12th ed.
Boston: Bedford, 2014. 582-85. Print.
Boston: Bedford, 2014. 582-85. Print.
Tan, Amy. "Fish Cheeks." The Bedford Reader. Ed. X.J. Kennedy et al. 12th ed. Boston: Bedford
2014. 110-11. Print.
I chose the same essay for my project. I love his approach to his upbringing. It's almost like he viewed it as a dare to be better. I also grew up with books everywhere because of my mother. It was a great way to grow up!
ReplyDeleteI have had a similar experience and am also choosing this essay. When I was younger, my family moved around a lot and so it was either read while on the road or punch my brother, which was frowned upon, so I chose to read.
ReplyDeleteI also chose the same story, because like you I read a lot as growing up as well. Only, it was my step mom who had the books
ReplyDeleteSherman Alexie is a great author and all his messages are powerful which makes them very good to write papers about. Reading books is something many people can relate to.
ReplyDeleteI choose the same story. I feel that his story is more inspiring to write about although i liked all that you pulled out of Fish Cheeks.
ReplyDeleteI chose the same story as well. Great Analysis!
ReplyDeleteGreat Analysis! It seems like many are choosing the same story to write about.
ReplyDeleteIf you ever have a chance, both authors are pretty phenonmenal in discussing their childhood and growing up and being ostracized for their race. I love Sherman Alexie, though. He's one of my favorite.
ReplyDeleteNice summaries, and I'm also doing my analysis on superman and me.
ReplyDeleteI love how you added how his intelligence made his different ! Well done !
ReplyDeleteYour summary on both articles were great! I can't wait to read your piece on "Superman and Me" seeing what a great writer you are!
ReplyDelete